The co-curricular activities encouraged by the Government Law College, Mumbai are definitive in allowing the individual to become a better exponent of the law. A better understanding of law is created that stands the individual in good stead throughout his legal career.
The Magazine Committee, however, feels that the best means to explore the real lawyer within its students would be to allow the development of the writer beneath his persona. Thus, the Committee organises the Vyas Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition each year. The competition is sponsored by Mr. Dinesh Vyas, one of GLC’s most distinguished alumni, who obtained his LLB degree from Government Law College in 1967.
Every year, the number of participants and quality of entries received rises manifold. This year will see the 12th edition of this prestigious competition.
Deadline: 11 January 2013
- Participation is restricted to students currently studying in Law college only.
- All participants must be LL.B. students, either from the 3 years course or from the 5 years course.
- Discuss the role of the Higher Education Bill, 2011 in the growth, development and regulation of education in India.
- The Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Bill, 2011 – a step toward greater transparency in the Real Estate sector?
- The GAAR effect – is India ready for the proposed General Anti-Avoidance Rules.
- Do we require faster and more efficient modes of adjudication of inter-state water disputes in India?
- Examine the impact of the judgment in Natco v Bayer and its significance for developing countries in the field of compulsory licensing.
- Individuals alone are eligible to participate. An essay co-authored by two or more students will not be accepted.
- The essay should consist of not less than 3500 words and not more than 4500 words. The word limit is inclusive of footnotes/endnotes.
- The essay should be typed on A4-sized paper and must adhere to the following requirements: font type – Times New Roman, Font size – 12, Double spaced, one-inch margin on each side, printed on one side of the paper.
- The identity of the student or the college, university, institution etc. should not be revealed in the test of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
- The winners are awarded cash prizes as follows:
- First prize: 12,000
- Second Prize: 9,000
- Third Prize: 7,000
- The first two prize winning entries are published in the Magazine.
The Vyas – GLC National Legal Essay Competition is judged by the sitting judges of the Bombay High Court. The 11th edition of this competition was judged by Hon’ble Shri Justice J. P. Devadhar, Hon’ble Shri Justice V. M. Kanade, Hon’ble Shri Justice A. S. Oka, Hon’ble Shri Justice S. J. Kathawalla, Hon’ble Shri Justice K. K. Tated, Hon’ble Smt Justice Bhatkar amongst several others.
# Click here to download the poster.