J. E. Dastur Memorial Short Fiction Essay Writing Competition, now in its seventh year, is organised by the Government Law College, Mumbai. It is increasing in popularity and prestige with every passing year. Students of educational institutions from all parts of the country come forward and exhibit their literary as well as analytical skills.
The competition has seen the likes of famous authors such as Gregory Roberts, Ruskin Bond, Ashwin Sanghi and Sidin Vadukut as judges over the years. It is sponsored in the memory of Mr. Jal E. Dastur, a practicing Chartered Accountant and a member of both the Indian and the English Institutes.
Deadline: 11 January 2013
- Incorporate the following sentence anywhere in your story: “He realized that the only thing that had changed was him”
- Build you story around the following characters in the given situation: William Shakespeare, Princess Diana and Aurangzeb at the Olympics.
- Incorporate all of the following objects in your story: Postcard, Wig and Clock.
- Build a story revolving around the following image:
- Participants must have passed their HSC (10+2) or equivalent examination.
- They must presently be enrolled in a graduation course in any field.
- Post Graduate (Degree) course students are not eligible.
- Post Graduate (Diploma) course students are eligible to participate, except those pursuing Management Studies.
- Individuals alone are eligible to participate. An entry co-authored by two or more students will not be accepted.
- Decision of the organizers as to eligibility shall be final and binding.
- Each entry should be no shorter than 1500 words, and no longer than 3300 words. Marks will be deducted for violation of the word limit.
- Judging Criteria: Use of sentence, Originality & Language, Plot of the story.
- Each entry must be the original and previously unpublished work of the participant.
- The identity of the student or the college, university, institution, etc., should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
- The entry should be typed and printed on one side of A4-sized paper and must adhere to the following formatting requirements: Font type – Times New Roman, Font size 12, Double-spacing, One inch margin on each side.
- Four hard copies of each entry must be sent by registered post or couriered to:
J. E. Dastur Memorial Government Law College Short Fiction Essay Writing Competition
C/o Magazine Committee, Government Law College
‘A’ Road, Churchgate, Mumbai 400020.
Phone no.: +919819156007 | +919819636223
- A copy should be e-mailed to melawnge [at] glcmumbai [dot] com.
- Each entry shall be enclosed with a covering letter on the letterhead of the participating college, which mentions the name and year of the student.
- Participants must also submit a short bio-data containing the following information: Full name, year, college name, telephone number and postal address, personal contact number, e-mail id, postal address.
- The entries shall be deemed to be the property of the Magazine Committee, Government Law College, Mumbai, which reserves the right of publication of the same in any periodical.
- The organizers’ decision as regards the interpretation of rules or any other matter related to the Competition shall be final and binding.
- The winners are awarded cash prizes as follows:
- 1st Prize: Rs. 8,000
- 2nd Prize: Rs. 6,000
- 3rd Prize: Rs. 4,000
- The first prize-winning entry will be published in méLAWnge 2012-13, the Annual College Magazine of Government Law College, Mumbai.
# Click here to download the Poster!