The Summer Workshop on Strategic Studies aims to bring together a group of twenty students and analysts from the fields of international relations, military studies, political science and public policy. The Workshop will look closely at issues rooted in strategic and military policy, whilst equipping students with the necessary conceptual frameworks and methods of analysis to conduct advanced historical and theoretical research. The workshop also considers contemporary cases for investigation, and will allow students to interact with key policy makers and commentators. In the end, it hopes to create a network of individuals capable of analyzing strategic and military choices and to foster policy-relevant research and teaching on strategic issues.
Application Deadline: 8 June 2012
Workshop Date: 23 July – 3 August 2012
Location: Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi, India
Eligibility: Applicants can be advanced graduate students (either advanced MPhil or PhD candidates), junior faculty members of any recognized university or researchers/analysts working in a think-tank or research organization. Ideally, they should have some background in international relations, political science, public policy or history.
- The application should contain:
- Contact information, complete with name, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address.
- A Curriculum Vitae (not more than 2 pages), with information on your educational background, job experience (if any), publications, research interests, current projects and any relevant awards and honours.
- A writing sample not exceeding 3000 words on any topic, ideally excerpts from a seminar paper or a thesis. It should be in double-spaced and 12pt font format.
- A brief statement (not more than 600 words) on why you wish to attend this workshop. It should be in double-spaced and 12pt font format.
- The application can be e-mailed to: cprsecuritystudies [at] gmail [dot] com
- All four forms should be attached as pdf files. Body text of the e-mail will be disregarded.
- Alternatively it can be mailed to:
Centre for Policy Research
Dharam Marg, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi – 110021
- If you are sending the application by regular mail, we would appreciate intimation via email.
Each day of the workshop will be divided into three sessions. The first will aim to engage in discussion drawing on given texts. These sessions will be conducted in a more informal seminar format, pushing students to reflect on the readings, but equally, challenge and question assumed and underlying principles in the broad area of strategic studies. In the second session, students will be lectured by established scholars in the field or practitioners. The last session might be considered a tutorial looking closely at methodological tools in strategic studies, including historical and qualitative methods, case studies and net assessment. In the second week, students will be expected to make a short presentation on a case study.