The Human Rights Law Network (HRLN) is a collective of lawyers and social activists working towards the cause of advancing the human rights movement in India through litigation, research, awareness and aid initiatives. HRLN provides pro-bono legal services, conducts public interest litigation, engages in advocacy, conducts legal awareness programmes, investigates violations, publishes ‘know your rights’ materials, and participates in campaigns aimed at spreading the human rights movement.
To further HRLN’s mandate, the organisation involves students in its activities through the posts of ‘Campus Volunteers’ so that the college students of the country get a chance to become a part of the movement for human rights in India.
A pilot phase of the program was launched in February 2012 and 22 volunteers were chosen from colleges all across the country. Along with conducting events like documentary screenings in their campuses and assisting HRLN in its research initiatives, the volunteers also founded India’s first student newsletter on human rights, ‘Human Rights on Campus,’ (http://www.
Application Deadline: For the pilot period of July – October, send your applications with a filled up form by Sunday, 15th July, 2012.
Eligibility: Any graduate and post-graduate students of law are eligible to apply.
- Volunteers will be given research work by HRLN’s various projects and will also conduct activities and research independently. The volunteers will stay connected on an online platform and work towards the following goals:
- Assist HRLN’s project heads (for national initiatives like disability rights, right to water etc..) in research and assist HRLN in drafting and researching for cases.
- Engage in developing and spreading a comprehensive framework of human rights education in Schools and Colleges with other volunteers and HRLN staff.
- Contribute to the HRLN Campus Volunteers’ newsletter, Human Rights on Campus, (http://www.humanrightsoncampus.wordpress.com).
- Spreading awareness and education of human rights issues through dialogues, discussions, seminars, debates etc.
- The volunteers will have to stay involved in the group’s activities till October 2012.
- The volunteers will only be required to put in a limited number of hours in a week so as to not affect their academic routine.
- The volunteers will also get the opportunity to interact with other students interested in human rights from all across the country and abroad through a common platform for the exchange of ideas for human rights activism and research.
- The volunteers will get a real world perspective on human rights in India as they will be directly attached to HRLN’s initiatives.
- The volunteers will be able to gain research and organisational experience related to human rights while moderating their responsibility according to their academic schedule in college.
- All active volunteers will get certificates for their contribution to the program. The best Campus Volunteers will be awarded cash prizes from HRLN and our collaborators.
- Send an e-mail to hrln [dot] campus [at] gmail [dot] com with a duly filled up form attached to it, with the subject ‘Application for HRLN Campus Volunteers – Pioneer batch’ The form also includes a 500 word write-up requiring answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to join the programme?
- What ideas do you have to carry out the goals for Campus Volunteers (as listed above)?
- Have you been involved in initiatives that have tested your organisational and leadership skills in College? If yes, tell us about them.
- The form is available on the HRLN website.
- Phone: +91 85880 71805 [Yash S Vijay, Student Co-ordinator]
- Email: hrln [dot] campus [at] gmail [dot] com
- Website: http://www.hrln.org/hrln/join-us/campus-volunteers.html